Sailor of the Week - September, 2010
- Sheldon Whitehouse Last Thursday at the India Point Park Community Boating Center in Providence, R.I., Senator Sheldon Whitehouse participated in US SAILING’s Youth Leadership Initiative, a pilot program created to teach life lessons to kids through the myriad of skills involved in learning to sail.
- Mike Hendrickson Last Week's Sailor of the Week: Mike Hendrickson has been an instructor at the Lake Champlain Community Sailing Center for over 10 years. Man overboard and emergency drills are part of his regular curriculum. On a morning in late August, Mike was forced to put these drills into play during a real life emergency rescue.
- Greg Fisher Greg Fisher, one of the most accomplished competitive sailors of all-time, has had his sights set on returning to collegiate sailing for quite some time. This vision became a reality, as Greg recently accepted the position of director of sailing at the College of Charleston.
- Marcia Everingham In 1970, Marcia’s husband Ted encouraged her to join him in an adult sailing program at the Detroit Yacht Club. Together, the couple learned how to sail Flying Scots. Years later, Marcia is one of the most prominent race officers in the Great Lakes region.
- Charlie Leighton Charlie Leighton had a plan for US SAILING when he became the executive director over five years ago. Before retiring, Charlie wanted to make sure US SAILING had the wind at its back going into the future. Recently, Charlie decided it was time to retire.