CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (August 16, 2013) - Sailors were prepared to rally for the fourth and final day of racing at the U.S. Youth Sailing Championships, hosted by the Corpus Christi Yacht Club. Boats were launched and courses were set, but lack of breeze and travel schedule considerations made racing impossible on Friday. Seven classes were represented this week in South Texas, including the 29er, Club 420, Formula 16, International 420, Laser, Laser Radial and RS:X. For most of these classes, this championship served as a mandatory U.S. qualification event for the 2014 ISAF Youth Worlds Team.
The most closely contested class this week was the International 420. Wade Waddell (Palm Beach, Fla.) and Henry Fernberger (New York, N.Y.) edged Jack Parkin (Riverside, Conn.) and Florian Eenkema van Dijk (Darien, Conn.) by one point.
“Our downwind speed was a big advantage this week,” said Waddell. “We were really in sync with the kinetics and pumping. I thought we played the shifts well upwind as well.”
“We've been preparing all summer in Europe racing in two world championships and Kiel Week. This fall we'll be training for World Cup Miami,” Waddell added.
Here are the top three final results in each class:
International 420 Top 3
1. Wade Waddell (Palm Beach, Fla.)/Henry Fernberger (New York, N.Y.): 1--1-1-1-2-1-3-2-1-2- ; 15
2. Jack Parkin/Florian Eenkema van Dijk: 2-1-2-3--1-2-1-1-2-1- ; 16
3. Russell Clarida/Finn Mundinger: 6-2-3-2--5-3-5-4-3-4- ; 37
Club 420 Top 3
1. Nicholas Sertl (Rochester, N.Y.)/Elizabeth Pemberton (Osterville, Mass.): 1-3-4-1-2-6-3-2--5-3- ; 30
2. Max Simmons/Riley Legault: -2-2-6-10-9-2-1-2-3-4- ; 41
3. Scott Sinks/Storm Brown: 9-1-8-3-5-2-[33/OCS]-25-4-4-8- ; 69
Radial Top 3
1. Luke Muller (Fort Pierce, Fla.): 1-1-1-1-2-3-2--1-1-1- ; 14
2. Malcolm Lamphere: 3-2-5-3-3-1-1--3-3-4- ; 28
3. William Marshall: 4-3-2-5-4-2-3--2-6-3- ; 34
Laser Top 3
1. Mitchell Kiss (Holland, Mich.): 5-2-2-4-2-[12/OCS]-3-3-2-1-1- ; 25
2. Stephen Long: 2-1-3-3-5-3-2-1--6-5- ; 31
3. Richard Didham: 3-6-1--6-1-1-8-3-2-4- ; 35
29er Top 3
1. Duncan Williford (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)/Matthew Mollerus (Larchmont, N.Y.): 1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2-2-1-3-2-- ; 19
2. Quinn Wilson/Riley Gibbs: 4-3-3-2-1-2-4-[10/DNF]-1-1-2-1-3-2- ; 29
3. Nic Muller/Kai Friesecke: [10/OCS]-4-4-3-3-3-3-4-3-3-4-4-4-3- ; 45
F16 Top 3
1. Ravi Parent (Bradenton, Fla.)/Nico Schultz (Sarasota, Fla.): -1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2- ; 14
2. Sophia Schultz/Joseph Bello: 2-4--6-2-2-2-3-3-2-4-2-3-5- ; 40
3. Ben Brown/Andrew Wilkinson: 1-5-2-5-4--4-2-2-5-5-6-4-3- ; 48
RS:X Top 3
1. Pedro Tomás Pascual: 1-1-2--1-2-2-1-1- ; 11
2. Raul Lopez: 2-2-1--3-1-3-2-2- ; 16
3. Maximo Nores: 3-4-4-2-2-4-1-3-[8/DNF]- ; 23
“On behalf of everyone at US Sailing, we’d like to thank the Corpus Christi Yacht Club for being a tremendous host this week,” said US Sailing Executive Director Jack Gierhart. “It took an incredible effort to pull this all together.”
Championship Notes, Awards and Recognitions:
• This championship served as a mandatory qualification event for the 2014 U.S. Youth Worlds Team in all fleets with the exception of the Club 420 and Laser fleets.
• The male winner of the Laser fleet and the female winner of the Radial fleet will qualify for the 2013 U.S. Singlehanded. Championships to be sailed September 13-15 at Manasquan River Yacht Club in Brielle, N.J.
• U.S. Olympic Committee’s Jacques and Anne Rogge Olympic Pathways Scholarship awarded F16 multihull sailors Sophia Schultz (Sarasota, Fla.) and Joseph Bello (Navarre, Fla.) a full racing course in 2014 at Oakcliff Sailing, a US Sailing Team Training Center in Oyster Bay, N.Y.
• Manton D. Scott Memorial Trophy to winning Open Doublehanded Dinghy (C420) team - Nicholas Sertl and Elizabeth Pemberton
• Robert L. Johnstone III Trophy to winning Singlehanded Laser Standard - Mitchell Kiss
• Robert and Ann Conner Trophy to winning Singlehanded Laser Radial - Luke Muller
• Arthur J. Stevens Trophy to winning Multihull team - Ravi Parent and Nico Schultz
• The David M. Perry Perpetual Sportsmanship Awards were presented to the following sailors: Club 420 - AJ Reiter and Greer Wattson, F16 - Ravi Parent and Nico Schultz, RS:X - Jonathan Rudich, Laser Radial - Clay Broussard, 29er - Quinn Wilson and Riley Gibbs, Laser – Ethan Stark, International 420 – Lucy Wilmot and Kaleigh Allen
• Next year’s U.S. Youth Sailing Championship will be hosted by Grosse Pointe Yacht Club (Mich.) in August. Applications will open in early January.
Visit the U.S. Youth Sailing Championship event website for daily recaps, video highlights, full standings, photos, and more.
The U.S. Youth Sailing Championships is a US Sailing National Championship regatta and sponsored by Sperry Top-Sider, Gill North America, Hobie Polarized and Zim Sailing. The championship is a Sailors for the Sea – Clean Regattas certification event.
* Photo by Carrie Robertson Meyer
For Immediate Release
Contact: Jake Fish, US Sailing Communications Manager, 401.683.0800 x614, email@example.com
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Sperry Top-Sider
Since 1935, Sperry Top-Sider has been the leading brand of footwear for those with a Passion for the Sea®. From its introduction of the world’s first siped rubber outsole for non-marking traction to advanced technical fabrication to combat the elements, Sperry Top-Sider remains the vanguard of high-performance amphibious footwear for life and activities in, on and around the water.
Available around the globe in independent, marine, outdoor, department stores and on www.sperrytopsider.com, Sperry Top-Sider is the official footwear of the Sperry Top-Sider NOOD Regattas, Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week, the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider and the National Safe Boating Council.
Since early 2010, the brand has launched 14 Sperry Top-Sider retail stores in the US – retail stores dedicated to the Passion for the Sea® lifestyle. Sperry Top-Sider is a division of the Collective Brands Performance and Lifestyle Group, a subsidiary of Collective Brands, Inc. (NYSE: PSS). For more information, please visit www.sperrytopsider.com.
About Zim Sailing
Zim Sailing, headquartered in Warren, R.I. is the fastest growing manufacturer of one-design sailboats in North America. Currently, Zim manufactures and distributes the Optimist, Club 420, CFJ and the Byte CII. Zim’s customers include high schools, colleges, yacht clubs, community sailing centers and the passionate dinghy sailor. Zim boats have won several local, regional, National and North American championships since the company’s creation in 2008. Zim is dedicated to the success and growth of dinghy sailing. Zim’s experienced staff and support vehicles can be found at many regattas. For more information, please visit www.zimsailing.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941 505 2111 or email@example.com
About Hobie Polarized
Hobie Polarized is a leading designer, developer, marketer and distributor of polarized eyewear. The brand’s innovative lens technology allows total glare reduction, 100% UV protection, enhances contrast and provides optimum visual acuity. The company’s products are sold worldwide and are used by watermen at all skill and lifestyle levels. The Hobie Polarized headquarters is located in Plainview, New York. For further information, please visit the company’s website at www.hobiepolarized.com.