ROCHESTER, N.Y. (August 23, 2013) – Spectacular conditions on Lake Ontario greeted the eight teams in J/24s at day one of the U.S. Adult Sailing Championship, hosted by the Rochester Yacht Club.
After four races, two teams are in a tie for first place. Rodger Voss (Albany, N.Y.) and crew finished the day strong with a pair of wins in the weakening breeze this afternoon. They are in a tie with Frank McNamara's (Wenham, Mass.) team, who posted the day's most consistent scores. Pat Toole's team from Santa Barbara, Calif. is one point behind Voss and McNamara. They are traveling coast to coast to make their third run at the Mallory Trophy.
Breezes exceeded 15 knots from the Northwest this morning. However, the wind decreased significantly throughout the afternoon, which allowed other teams to make up ground. Temperatures were in the mid-70s. Racing began at 10:00 am and finished at around 3:45 pm. Teams raced in an 8-boat rotation.
Fort Worth, Texas skipper Bryan Dyer discussed the day of sailing. "Two words. Light and lumpy," said Dyer. "The race committee did a good job setting good courses today. The lake was more like a washing machine in afternoon. We are used to inland lake sailing with flat water. I think we need to be more conscious of where the holes are tomorrow and be more aware of our surroundings."
Results and Standings
1. Rodger Voss (Lake George Club), 4-7-1-1- ; 13T
2. Frank McNamara (Eastern Yacht Club), 2-4-4-3- ; 13T
3. Pat Toole (Santa Barbara Yacht Club), 3-2-3-6- ; 14
4. David Klatt (Ventura Yacht Club), 1-6-2-7- ; 16
5. Bryan Dyer (Fort Worth Boat Club), 7-1-6-4- ; 18
6. Alexander Bolan (Columbia Sailing Club), 6-3-8-2- ; 19
7. Pat FitzGerald (Severn Sailing Association), 5-5-5-5- ; 20
8. Russel Cook (Oswego Yacht Club), 8-8-7-8- ; 31
Visit the official event website throughout this week’s championships for a full roster, Notice of Race, video highlights courtesy of Chris Love Productions, real-time Twitter updates, daily recaps, photos, and more.
The U.S. Adult Sailing Championships is a US Sailing National Championship regatta and sponsored by Gill North America and Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whiskey. The championship is a Sailors for the Sea – Clean Regattas certification event.
- Racing is scheduled to begin at 10 am EST each morning (subject to change).
- Twenty races are scheduled for the regatta… It is intended for each team to race each boat one once… A maximum of five races will be sailed in one day, with three races constituting a series… Courses will be windward-leeward.
- The top three teams will receive and US Sailing Gold, Silver and Bronze medals… The first place team will be awarded the Clifford D. Mallory Trophy… The Royal Victoria Trophy will be awarded for excellence in Seamanship… The Staton J. Peele, Jr. Trophy will be awarded based on a vote by the sailors for Sportsmanship.
- Charles Mallory, grandson of Clifford D. Mallory will present the trophy to the winning team.
For Immediate Release
Contact: Jake Fish, US Sailing Communications Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, 401.683.0800 x614
The United States Sailing Association (US Sailing), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership, integrity, and growth for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US Sailing is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US Sailing offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team Sperry Top-Sider. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gill North America
Gill NA, with headquarters near Atlanta, GA is the exclusive importer and distributor of Gill-brand foul weather gear in North America including Caribbean, US and Canada. Gill is a worldwide apparel and accessories brand serving the marine industry with over three decades of experience. Gill specializes in high tech, breathable waterproof clothing. The company develops and markets a variety of performance-oriented, award-winning apparel and accessories for virtually every type of boating activity with product lines that include foul weather gear; interactive layering systems; footwear; gloves; bags; junior gear; scholastic gear and team wear. Gill products are available through hundreds of independent dealers and select West Marine Stores. For further information, please contact: Gary Barker at 941 505 2111 or email@example.com.
About Old Pulteney
Old Pulteney Single Malt Scotch Whisky is crafted at Pulteney Distillery in Wick, Scotland. The distillery was founded in 1826 by James Henderson at the height of Wick’s herring boom. The distillery lies in the heart of “Pulteneytown,” which was one of the largest and most important herring fishing ports in Europe. Old Pulteney has a long standing association with the sea and is the official scotch of US Sailing. Its carefully crafted taste carries the windswept and rugged character of the North, the salty and fresh air of the North Sea, and the distillery’s rich maritime heritage runs through every drop of this fine malt.