Small Boat Instructor Level 2
Ensure your instructors have the latest knowledge and skills
US Sailing has developed a new small boat training program featuring multiple tracks and a new series of courses, which go beyond Level 1. There are many benefits for Small Boat Instructor Level 1 graduates to take the next step in the certification process. Becoming a Level 2 certified instructor ensures a more advanced degree of sailing education offerings at your organization. Your sailors deserve an opportunity learn the skills they need to maximize their experience on the water and sail with confidence. Best practices in safety is a critical element in a sailor’s development. The new Small Boat Instructor Level 2 program contains expanded curriculum on how to teach specific sailing skills and safety protocols.
Here are a few ways your sailing organization will benefit from having Level 2 certified instructors on your staff:
- Instructors will have enhanced on the water safety components.
- Prepares instructors for all emergency situations (on and off the water)
- Develops higher level skill sets for sailing instruction, including better communication with parents, peers, employers and students.
- Your program, instructors and sailors will make a positive on keeping our sport safe.
- Parents will have great confidence in your programs
Advanced education for your junior sailors is a win for the sport:
- Instructors with increased safety knowledge and confidence in emergency situations
- Improved teaching skills leads to better skills taught to junior sailors
- Give junior sailors something to reach for when they begin their certification tracks
- New skills and confidence to succeed in their sailing
Here is a Small Boat Instructor Level 2 Course Synopsis:
The course focuses on developing knowledge and skill in teaching sail theory, sail controls, introductory management skills, spinnaker and trapeze use (and instruction) and powerboat operation for emergency situations. Safety awareness is a major component of this course, with instruction on how to address capsize recovery, and prevent entrapment while operating a powerboat. Concussion training is a prerequisite for this course and will be included in the curriculum.
Find out more specifics on the Level 2 Course.
Learn more about US Sailing's Small Boat Instructor Courses.