A Look at the 2010 Highlights as We Sail Into 2011
On behalf of everyone at US SAILING, we want to thank you for your support this year, and we are delighted to have you sailing with us into 2011. 2010 has been successful and productive for US SAILING. We accomplished a great deal and are in a good position to continue the momentum in 2011. We could not pursue our mission of providing leadership, integrity, and advancement for the sport without our loyal members. As a member of US SAILING, you should take pride in knowing you are part of an organization dedicated to uniting the sailing community and serving as guardians of the sport. Our 40,000 members support our programs and volunteers that work hard to serve sailors and sailing organizations across the country.
Thanks to our members, donors and volunteers, here are some of our accomplishments from 2010:
• Funded Disabled Veterans Program
• Piloted after school sailing programs for at-risk youth
• Funded scholarships for youth competing in national and international competition, and for those under the age of 35 who are participating in race official training education
• Developed tools to simplify the Racing Rules of Sailing, including the “Animated Handy Guide”
• US SAILING Team AlphaGraphics won three medals overall in the 2010 ISAF Sailing World Cup final standings
• The US Sailing Development team won the medal count at the ISAF Youth World Championships
• Supported 44 PHRF fleets across the country representing over 12,000 boats and 100,000 sailors
• Over 4,000 young sailors competed in 25 sanctioned Junior Olympic Sailing Festivals
• 1,700 new sailing instructors were certified, and in turn taught nearly 70,000 students
• Over 1,550 Offshore Rating Certificates were issued
• 1,554 sailors were certified through US SAILING’s Safety at Sea Seminar program
• 54 Race Administration seminars and workshops were held throughout the country
• More than 900 sailing organizations benefited from The Burgee Program's comprehensive insurance coverage and premiums savings
• 13 yacht clubs and sailing organizations from around the country hosted national championship events for adult and youth racing sailors
For 2011 we will continue to enhance our programs and member services. Look for our new member handbook that will service as a valuable resource, detailing all of our programs and services. We are also introducing a new membership card package that includes a luggage tag and other items. We will continue to expand member benefits, so look for discounts from Hilton Hotels, the Moorings/Sunsail, and more. Finally keep your eyes open for continued improvements on the website, new programs like club judge certification, special membership programs for high school sailors, and a summer road show/tour that will get US SAILING on the waterfront and engaged with all types of sailors and sailing.
Again from all of us at US SAILING, thank you for helping us achieve all we did this year. We wish you smooth seas and a wonderful sailing year in 2011.