> US SAILING Media > Latest News > 2011 > US SAILING’s 2010 One-Design Symposium Starts This Weekend
“Embracing Today’s Media Platforms to Promote Your Class or Fleet”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
US SAILING Communications Manager
PORTSMOUTH, R.I. (November 9, 2010) – US SAILING's 2010 One-Design Symposium, presented by Gowrie Group, takes place this weekend (Nov. 13-14) in Corona del Mar, Calif. at the Balboa Yacht Club. The annual One-Design Symposium brings together industry experts, racing gurus, and legendary one-design leaders to one venue for an insightful exchange of ideas and information.
Watch the Live Stream
The theme for the 2010 One-Design Symposium is “Embracing Today’s Media Platforms to Promote Your Class or Fleet.” US SAILING Inshore Director Lee Parks is in her 25th year with the National Governing Body of the sport. She had this to say about this year's symposium: “Those who participate in this year's symposium are going to come away with a wealth of knowledge. We found that classes and fleets are eager find new ways to communicate with their members and reach their intended sailor audiences. They'll learn about all the new forms of media channels that they have available to them and how to use these efficiently. And of course, they always look forward to the networking opportunities at the symposium."
Keynote speakers at this year's symposium include US SAILING President Gary Jobson, Scuttlebutt founder Tom Leweck, boat builder Tom Schock, photographer Fried Elliott, and others. The symposium features panel discussions and breakout sessions on a variety of interesting topics, such as fleet building and marketing your class or fleet using new media sources.
Topics and Speakers Include:
• Saturday Night Keynote Address: “Using New Media to Build Your Class” (introducing a new One-Design DVD) by US SAILING President Gary Jobson
• “The Law of Unintended Consequences” by Tom Leweck, Scuttlebutt’s original curmudgeon
• “Class PR Manual” by Dieter Loibner, editor of Sailing News US
• “Upgrading Class Photographs” by Fried Elliott, Official Snipe & Star Class Photographer
• “Partnering with the Sailing Industry to Better the Sport” by Tom Schock, president of WD Schock Corp.
• “Industry Report & One-Design Class Survey” by Patty Lawrence, Thistle Class Secretary/Treasurer
• “Awesome Websites” by Doug Stumberger and Dwain Trummert of raceonedesign.com
• “Showcasing the Class through Video” by Vince Casalaina
• “Online Registration & Class Database Management” by Ken Taylor of Regatta Network
• “One-Design & Insurance 101” by Sarah Davidson of the Gowrie Group
• Panel Discussion: “Clubs/Classes Working Together to Create Great Regattas” with Bill Stump, Jeff Johnson, and others
• In addition to the class growth topics, participants can attend two days of Sail Fast workshops taught by industry experts and class champions.
The registration fee is $100 for US SAILING members and $125 for non-members. Registration includes entry to over 25 seminars and two cocktail receptions, morning coffee, two meals, and the official symposium notebook. The last day of early registration is this Wednesday, November 10. An additional $25 will be assessed to all registrations after Wednesday (Midnight EST). Online registration closes this Thursday (Midnight EST). Walk-in registrations are welcome throughout the weekend at the Balboa Yacht Club beginning on Friday, November 12 at 6:00 p.m. PST.
Don’t miss the special addition to this year’s symposium:
• Join us for the new Club Judges Workshop on Friday, November 12. The separate registration fee includes a full day seminar, continental breakfast, lunch, and test. For more information, please visit the workshop site.
About US SAILING
The United States Sailing Association (US SAILING), the national governing body for sailing, provides leadership for the sport in the United States. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, US SAILING is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. US SAILING offers training and education programs for instructors and race officials, supports a wide range of sailing organizations and communities, issues offshore rating certificates, and provides administration and oversight of competitive sailing across the country, including National Championships and the US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics. For more information, please visit www.ussailing.org.
About Gowrie Group
Gowrie Group, one of the largest and most prestigious independent insurance agencies, provides insurance and benefits solutions to individuals and businesses throughout the U.S., and specializes in customized business, home, auto, and marine insurance products and services. As US SAILING’s insurance partner, Gowrie is proud to offer custom marine insurance programs to all US SAILING members, including solutions for racers, cruisers, one-design sailors, yacht clubs, sailing schools, and more. For more information about Gowrie Group visit www.gowrie.com or call 800.262.8911.